Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Saaaar........

One of the first things that strike you when u land up in Chennai is the smell. I mean the train from Aleppey reaches here at 7 in the morning and I dont need an alarm to get up at all. One will be awakened from one's sleep by the sheer aroma (Yeah rite) that greets one on his entry. And the moment you look out you see nice black asses crapping near the railway lines. Welcome to Chennai. Chennai rocks (Snorts)



Soon you've gotten used to the smell and decide to go to Insti.

Scene 1 Outside Railway Station

Me : Saar IIT ponam. Evalo?
Saar : 120 roopa thaange saar.
Me : pona vaati 80 than saar kuduthein.
Saar : athonum enakku theriya venda saar. Varela illaya?
Me : Illai.
Saar : Evalom tharuvel saar?
Me : 90.
Saar : sari 100 roopa tharungo saar.
Me : sari.

Well so after some fight I reach insti. I spent a few weeks roaming around, playing comp games, watching movies etc etc.

Then the strap of my chappal comes loose.


Scene 2 Footpath

Me : Saar intha cherippu repair pannanam.
Saar : (After a good look at my chappals) 30 roopa thange saar.
Me : 20 roopa tharein.
Saar : Enna saar (taps on his stomach).
Me : (reply by a tap on my stomach).
(Saar gives me a pained look and starts work on my chappals)

Scene 3 Foopath Bookstore

Me : Saar Davinci Code evalo?
Saar : 80 rupees saar.
Me : Vena.
Saar : evalo tharuvel saar?
Me : 50 roopa tharein.
Saar : 60 thaange saar.
Me : sari

If u were anywhere close to being observant you would have noticed the number of saars that were used in the dialogues. The first and foremost rule in Chennai - call everyone saar. By everyone I mean right from the auto driver to the mess worker to the roadside shoe repair guy.

Now I dont know how this practice of calling everyone saar came about. Must be a throwback from the British Raj days when it was respectable to be called Sir.

But I find it very funny that the title 'Sir' has to be earned in Britain while if u come to Chennai everyone calls you that even though the word itself is pronounced in a funny way.

Just a jobless me laughing at the ways of the world.

3 comments:

SpankMac said...

niiiice! i agree with you da. this goes with 'chennai sucks'.

and saar is not only here.. you see it in many places. bangalore for eg :)

Vijay Shankar said...

In Bengaluru also huh?
Didnt know that.
And about Chennai the less said the better. Chennai rules in one thing da the level of quizzing. It is numero uno in that.

Vijay said...

saaaaaaaaaaaaaar............